In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Turner Museum and Historical Society

Leavitt Institute Building, Turner Center, ca. 1896

Contributed by Turner Museum and Historical Society
MMN Item 29122 Item Details
Leavitt Institute Building, Turner Center, ca. 1896
MMN Item 29122 Zoom

Description

James Madison Leavitt gave this building for secondary education to the town of Turner. The first class graduated in 1896 and the last class under the name of Leavitt Institute graduated in 1966.

From 1967 to 1968 the school name was changed to Leavitt High School.

In 1969 when the school was consolidated under SAD 52 the school name was changed to Leavitt Area High School and is located in the Town of Turner not far from the old Institute building.

The original building has been renovated and is now used by the Turner Public Library and the Turner Historical Museum.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.