In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Turner Museum and Historical Society

Turner Museum and Historical Society Facts

Facilities:

The Turner Museum and Historical Society is located on the fourth floor of the Leavitt Institute Building, a former school.

In a letter, dated December 10, 1895, James Madison Leavitt proposed to build a school for the town. Leavitt gave the town $10,000 to build a school. The town purchased two adjacent two-acre plots, from Lewis and Philip Bradford, and raised an additional $3,000.

They then built the "Institute Building" on the purchased land. The school was dedicated to James Madison Leavitt on January 20, 1897.